Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

WHATCHULOOKITAT

Most people look at my when I am doing my walking at a local mall as I use a walker and of course I have my oxygen. I use a walker when I do any kind of long walks so I can stop and take a break as I do get winded. The walker I have is one that has the four wheels and a seat on it. I get looked at mainly as a 43 year old person using a walker and on oxygen, they don't know whats wrong. But take away the oxygen and the walker and say i go for a short walk from the car to the convience store. People would have no idea that i am sick. Sarcoidosis is this type of disease. It hits people differently. As it starts usually in the organs, and it also can hit the joints. Yes when I do get asked whats wrong I get looked at like I have ten heads. I have bad days when it comes to walking as it is difficult to walk the length of a city bus (which is about 40 feet) before I get winded.  I do have good days too, what does it feel like to walk in such a short distance and lose your breath.
The best way to describe it is hold you breath and walk the length of a BAT bus or a T bus then let out your breath. Or those that run for a minute you huff and puff to catch your breath. It usually takes a couple of minutes for me but I do get my breath. Yes even on the oxygen, I still lose my breath. At times my knees will bother as well, due to the oxygen I am considered legally disabled and I do play it smart when I go out. I usually have a back up or two. I have three portable tanks that I carry and as a rule one stays in the car as a back up. There are other people who have the disease and are fine without treatment and some use steroids for a period of time. I keep on moving as I do not consider sick or disabled as there are other people that are worse off than me. Take away my oxygen and my walker and no one would know that I am sick or how bad off I really am. Will there be a cure for Sarcoidosis, I hope so.
I still do wonder how many with this disease called Sarcoidosis ( or to those who have it  sarcoid) are here in this state. I know there is a person In the New Bedford or Fall River area. Please feel free to let me know or if you have any questions about this disease I will answer them. As the old saying goes " It never hurts to ask." Until next time my best to all. Mike G. If you have Sarcodosis or have a question for Mike G. Please send it to  BrocktonBeat@hotmail.com and put attention Mike in the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment